- Category: People
- Hits: 125
The demonyms of Toowoomba include Toowoombian, Toowoomban and Toowoombarite which are sometimes used to reference the city of Toowoomba and its residents.
For the uninitiated, a demonym is a word that identifies residents or natives of a particular place and is usually derived from the name of the place.
So essentially a person who comes from Toowoomba could, for example, be called a Toowoombarite.
Further reading: Demonym on Wikipedia
- Category: Community
- Hits: 195
Puppy is the name of the mascot of the Toowoomba Thistle Pipe Band.
Born in 1948 Puppy lived until the age of 10 in 1958, when he passed away after being run over by a car.
Marching in front, Puppy would lead the band during the parade at the Carnival of Flowers, and was so adored by the crowds that as a result of his passing, a memorial with a statue of Puppy was created in 1959.
Stolen on two occasions in 1983 and 1990, the statue was located again in both instances.
Puppy's memorial is located at the Picnic Point Lookout.
- Category: Religion
- Hits: 190
St Luke's Anglican Church Toowoomba was constructed at various stages between 1897 and 1959.
The first Anglican service took place at Drayton in 1848 by Reverend Benjamin Glennie.
1852 saw the first Anglican service take place in what was then known as the Swamp and what would eventually become Toowoomba proper.
Recognizing the significance of the area, Reverend Benjamin Glennie decided to acquire the land on which the present day St. Luke's is built for £8.4 shillings in 1854.
Originally, a timbre slab building that was built on the site in 1857. Design of the existing church was by architect John Hingesten Buckenridge and is of Gothic revival style with the main material used in the construction being bluestone.
Listing on the Queensland Heritage Register took place on the 28th July 2000.
- Category: Education
- Hits: 138
Based in Toowoomba Queensland, the University of Southern Queensland (USQ) was originally established as the Darling Downs campus of the Queensland Institute of Technology in 1967.
As time passed it would become Darling Downs Institute of Advanced Education (DDIAE) in 1971, University College of Southern Queensland (UCSQ) in 1990, and finally the University of Southern Queensland (USQ) in 1992.
The university has a total of three campuses spread out across Toowoomba, Springfield, Ipswich.
Courses at the university include law, health, engineering, the sciences, business, education, the arts.
One of the attractions of the university is its Japanese Garden, one of, if not the largest Japanese garden in Australia.
Student enrollments is approximately 28,000 annually, a ratio of 85% domestic, 15% overseas students.
In 2017, the university had a revenue in excess of $320 million dollars.
The Latin motto of the university 'Per Studia Mens Nova' translates to 'Through study the mind is renewed'.
- Category: History
- Hits: 223
Harlaxton House is a single story house constructed of red stone quarried from Harlaxton.
The original architect who designed the house is unknown, although construction was completed in approximately 1870, and is of Victorian Gregorian style architecture.
Built as the primary residence of Australian explorer and politician Francis Thomas Gregory and his wife, the house was also rented to governor of Queensland Lord Lamington, purportedly where the Lamington cake was invented.
The building is not used specifically for any particular purpose at this point in time.