Designed by architect Francis DG Stanley and constructed in 1873 by R. Godsall, the Toowoomba railway station comprises of a single platform.
The station is situated along the Main Line which is a railway line that originates at the Roma Street Station in Brisbane and stretches 161Km to Toowoomba, which from there the, Western line proceeds to Cunnamulla.
Additional structures were added over a period of more than 75 years including a goods shed, brake examination pit, refreshment rooms, porters shed/guards hut, and air raid shelters.
The railway station was listed on the Queensland Heritage Register in October 1992.
The Westlander runs a twice weekly service from Brisbane to Charleville.